Thursday, August 20, 2015

EVERYDAY CARRY, the Road bike version.

One of my pet peeves as a coach is when an athletes bike session is cut short by a simple mechanical. After riding and racing competitively since the late 80s, I have dialed in my EDC (everyday carry) for the road bike to a proven collection of items that I do not leave home without. Let me know what YOU like to have to avoid the "call of shame" (calling for a ride home due to a simple bike issue)

-Frame mounted pump. I tell my folks; co2s are for racing, pumps are for training. And/Or "pumps save training sessions". I have heard of NUMEROUS comprimised sessions as the "1 and done" CO2 failed and the athlete was left stranded. I like this Specialized version in the pic, but many to chose from. I like it mounted to a water bottle boss so you don't have to remember it. Also, make sure its not MICRO in size and can fill a tire to 80+ psi in a moderate amount of strokes.

-Basic seat mounted pack. Not much to write here. Just big enough to fit what I need. Secures with velcro or a snap type mount. Many options out there. Bring what you want to pack in it and find the right size for you.

-2 tubes! See above re: single use CO2, this also goes for a tube. You DID remember to check the tire for the glass or nail...right? If not, that second tube will get you home. Make sure the valve stem is long enough for your training wheel depth.

-Tire levers. Certain tire and rims combos are tight. I like these Lezyne alloy levers. They are small and will not break!

-Master link. Modern chains are very strong and breaking one is a rare occurrence, but with a simple "master link" you can remove the chain at the link and just snap it back together with this link. (see multitool below)

-the pouch. Last but not least I always carry my PBMCoaching phone pouch. This is a waterproof pouch that holds : 3 dollars for that mid-ride bonk, and a multi-tool (this one is a crank brothers). The multitool has every hex size on the bike, a T25 torx and a chain breaker. I can literally build a bike with this tool if needed. Last in the pouch is my Lazer helmets cappuccino lock. The device turns your helmet strap into a lock for a post ride Latte stop!

There you have it. My basic road EDC set up. For the mountain bike I had 1-2 things (derailleur hanger, suspension pump) but otherwise everything else stays the same.

So please, no more e-mails to your coach saying you had to cut a ride short, make sure you have your EDC squared away before hand.


No comments:

Post a Comment