Monday, August 31, 2015

Not a "race" report, but it sure felt like a RACE! VOGP

Two weekends ago, Kurt, Tread and I traveled to VT to participate in Vermont Overland GP.  We dragged Fred Prescott (pbm athlete hot shot) to suffer on the steep dirt climbs and ever steeper dirt descents.


I won't bore you with the small details, just the high (low) lights-


-Neutral start for about 1-2k, then- BAM!  straight uphill on loose dirt/gravel.  Awesome. 500+ guys and gals with fresh legs all smashing it hard.  No categories or age groups, just a good old fashioned race.


-Tread off the front with all the heavy hitters racing for glory, me and Fred a little further back but moving up.  Kurt slightly further back from us, riding steady.


-Fred super strong today, stretching out our group on every climb, dancing on the pedals with a huge smile on his face.  


-Make it to the first water/feed zone and stop for a coke/water/treats.  Basically the whole group stopped so we didn't really lose many spots.  But who cares because it's not a race, right?  My heart rate was 176 avg for the first hour.


-Still in same group riding strong, Fred still on the front breathing through his nose.  Tread, long gone never to be seen again. I flat (thank God) and pull the plug on my "race".  I change the flat at a very leisurely pace hoping Kurt or another friendly race will roll up.  Kurt finally arrives and we chat, then set off to finish this thing.


-I stay with Kurt for a little while then decide to get a little extra tempo work in and ride away.  Not an attack or anything because me and Kurt are tight and I would never attack him like that, just a subtle acceleration which he could have followed but didn't.


-I finish 3:42 (I think), stopped a lot to eat/drink/nature calls/flats, so I think it's respectable but no where near Tread or Fred.  Both those guys drilled it.  Can't say I'm not jealous, I would've like to have tested myself to stay with the front groups.  All told, I got in 6+ hrs of riding, with over 7k vertical feet.  Good times.  Of course, Tread and I had to ride to and from race venue for warm up and cool down.


-Definitely a buck list ride- VOGP.  Peter Vollers organized a great day.  Beautiful VT country roads, amazing weather, and some excellent cyclists.  Current and former Pro's, World Champions, National Champs and local hot shots.


-I'm going back for sure.


Thanks for reading.
Bill. 

No comments:

Post a Comment